Friday, September 11, 2009

A Girl Named Megan & A God Who Heals



Megan Parrera goes to my church, and was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma back in April. When she got the diagnosis, she was about 28-30 wks. pregnant with a baby girl. Megan already had two year old twins (a boy and a girl). She and her husband were getting ready to move into a new home, when she found a lump on her neck. She was having some physical issues/symptoms as well. Immediately after the diagnosis (stage 4 is what we were told), Megan's chemo treatment began. She was also admitted to the hospital, until after delivering the baby. I remember Pastor Jack praying one Sunday, as the entire congregation held hands. I don't know Megan, and though she is a "friend of some friends"...I have never met her. However, hearing of her trials brought me down to my face in prayer many times. I couldn't imagine being a mom of twins....yet stuck in the hospital- away from them. I couldn't imagine being pregnant with a third baby, wondering if I'd live long enough to hold her. It pained me to think of a hurting husband, trying to make ends meet, while his wife laid in a hospital bed. I was saddened when I thought of two small kids, wondering why they couldn't have their mommy at home. Selfishly, I was thankful that it wasn't me.

The Lord continually put Megan on my heart, and I would occasionally get updates on her condition. A blog was started, so that we could stay current on Megan's condition (www.meganparreraupdates.blogspot.com). I would check the blog every few days to see what, if anything, had changed. During this time, I was doing Beth Moore's Bible study called Believing God. Beth challenged us to write down our "GodStops" each day, and to keep a faith journal. The study was designed to help us grow to KNOW God, and to BELIEVE God and His promises. I'll admit that I felt I had seen lots of "little" miracles, but not any "huge" ones. The study was challenging to me, because I've grown up in the faith....yet I lacked faith. As I started to write things down in my study book, I could see the Lord's hand in all aspects of my life.

Megan's name would come to mind, and it's written all throughout my Bible study book. I felt the Lord telling me....'I am going to heal Megan.' I continued to doubt Him, thinking it was just "me" making it up. I continued to pray. Megan's prognosis, from what I read and heard, continued to sound fatal. However, the baby (Isla) was delivered and she was born healthy. How great is our God!! She was in NICU for several weeks and then got to go home, a week after her mama. There were fundraisers that people from church participated in, and my faith was increased some more. The kids and I took part in one fundraiser. It was held at Bravo Burgers, in Chino Hills. A portion of our order went toward helping in Megan's battle with cancer. As I stood in line, I heard the man behind the counter say, "This is just incredible! I have never seen such community before." My heart was so happy to hear that!

Several months have gone by, and I have continued to get updates on Megan and her family. I feel as though I know her, because I have tried to stay updated on her situation. I have cried many tears for Megan and her family. I have begged the Lord to heal her. I continued to hear Megan was feeling "good," though tired...with the chemo and being a mom to three small kids.

At church on Wednesday night, Pastor Jack told us that MEGAN IS IN REMISSION! Our Lord has healed her! The congregation began to clap and I got teary-eyed. WOW, Lord! I was (and still am) in awe of His goodness. Yesterday, as I was thinking about Megan, I remembered that the Lord had put it on my heart that He was going to heal her. Again, I was humbled...and my faith was increased! This morning, I started looking through my study book, to see if I had written it down anywhere. On page 59 of Believing God, I wrote in the margin...."I keep feeling like the Lord is going to heal Megan P.." On page 62 (in my Faith Journal), I wrote a prayer....
"Lord, You know Megan and I don't, Father. I just know that her prognosis isn't good. But, Lord, You are El Rophe...Healer. You have the power to heal Megan. Lord, please rid her of her disease. Her children need their mommy. Heal her so that thousands can testify of Your glory." On page 72, a prayer includes this: "Thank You in advance for miracles coming...that You have yet to perform!"

There are tons of verses that I'd like to share with you, but I will try to limit them. You see, when God hears our prayers and answers them, when He heals...and saves....it's hard to contain your excitement! This email is much longer than I intended, and for that I apologize! But- my faith and my belief in His promises have grown and I pray that this will touch someone today. If you need a little encouragement to face a "battle" in your life, I hope you will cry out to Him. He is faithful. He is true. He is mighty to save. Nothing is impossible for Him. He desires to be glorified. TO HIM BE THE GLORY! GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE! Praise You, Jesus...

I am reminded that we, as believers, are to intercede on the behalf of others. We are to stand in the gap, and we are to lift one another up. We are to tell of His goodness! We are to shout it from the mountain top! I am reminded that through trials, we need to continue to be a light. Megan has been a light to SO many around her. I am reminded that His grace is sufficient
(2 Cor. 12: 8-10), and that trusting and believing in Him is what we are commanded to do. I am reminded that He is SO good! So, so good....

"But 'he who glories, let him glory in the Lord.'"
-2 Cor. 10:17

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
-Heb. 11:1

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
-Heb. 11:6

"But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind."
-James 1:6

"Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; Save me, and I shall be saved, For You are my praise."
-Jer. 17:14

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."
-Zeph. 3:17

"The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!' He replied, 'If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you."
-Luke 17:5-6

THANK YOU, LORD....for healing Megan and for performing miracles. Thank You for Your promises. Thank You for being faithful, even when I am faithless. Thank You for Your mighty hand.....



No comments:

Post a Comment