Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Sticks And Stones....

...may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."


The old saying is definitely not true for me. Wounds from words, and hurtful things said, stick to me like glue (like white on rice, like....well, you get the idea). I can remember things that others said to me 15+ years ago, that hurt me and/or made me feel stupid. And, you can be sure I remember what so-and-so said last week that cut deep(ly). I am sure that you can easily think of a time when someone said something to you that hurt you as well.

This morning, I said something hurtful to my husband. To be honest, I am not sure if he felt hurt by it or not, but as soon as I said it....I wished I could have taken it back. And...that's the thing about our words. Once they're out, there's no gettin' them back. I have heard the analogy before- about squeezing toothpaste out of the tube and then trying to get the toothpaste back into the tube. You can't do it. No matter how hard we may try to put that paste back, it's not going back into that tube. It's the same with our words. Once they are on our tongues...once they are spoken....it's too late to take them back.

"...the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person....." (James 3:5-6)

Hopefully, if you are like me and can remember hurtful words said to you, you have forgiven the person who said them. I have to admit that, at times, I will feel like I've forgiven a certain person and then something will "pop back up again," that hurt will resurface, and I have to forgive again. The Bible tells us that we are to keep forgiving.

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Eph. 4:32)

As usual, I am all over the place in this post....but the moral of the story is:

*Be mindful of what you say.
"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness." (James 3:9)

*Think before you speak.
"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."
(James 3:10)

*Forgive others who have hurt you.
"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." (Matt. 6:14)
"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Col. 3:13)

*Use your tongue to say loving and kind things.
"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt..."
(Col. 4:6)
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
(1 Cor. 13:4-8a)


So, who's with me??! Go out and say something nice to someone today. Use that 'lil pie hole to bless. Be kind. Be loving. Be forgiving. For me, it's a moment by moment choice. And....today....this moment....I am trying to use my mouth for good.

...You've heard it here before and I'll say it again....my new "life" verse is:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."
(Psalm 19:14)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your transparency! Also a struggle for me, so this was quite encouraging. I hate that things said to me in the past still have a hold on me, and I also hate that I continue to screw up and hurt others with my words. I'm trying to learn to extend some grace to myself, but at the same time, be aware of my words and actions, and try to do better next time. One day at a time, sister!

    ReplyDelete