Monday, February 22, 2010

Scrum-diddly-umptious!

This past weekend was a whirlwind. I think it may take me all of this week to recover! Okay, that's a bit dramatic....but our weekend was extremely busy. We had Bible study, a play date, two birthday parties, a baby shower, a BBQ, church, and then some friends came over for dinner last night. Sheesh....I am getting tired just typing about it. Anyhow, we were gone all day yesterday and I needed something yummy, yet simple, to make for our guests. I decided upon chicken tortilla soup and my aunt's DELICIOUS cornbread. I made a salad, too. The soup is SO easy and yummy...and the cornbread is to die for....so I thought I'd be kind and share the recipes with you!

My good friend, Christy, made this yummy soup for me when I stayed at her house last year. Since then, I have made it a lot!! It's sooo easy and everyone loves it!

Christy's Chicken Tortilla Soup:

4-6 frozen or thawed chicken breasts
1 large jar of salsa
1 can black beans (with juice)
1 can whole kernel corn (with juice)
2 boxes chicken broth

*Put all of the ingredients into a Crock Pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken after it's cooked. Garnish with cilantro, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Add some crumbled tortilla chips (or baked tortilla strips) and serve. Voila!


My mom's whole side of the family (30 of us) rented a cabin/camp this past New Year's. We divvied up the meals/cooking and my aunt and cousin made this cornbread. I could not stop eating it. I am not sure where my aunt got the recipe, so I can't give proper credit. I just know that you had better watch out if you make it! If you're like me, all self control will go out the window.

Georgia's AMAZING Cornbread:

1 c. sour cream
7 oz. Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 eggs
2-3 T. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sour cream

*Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter in an 8x8 baking dish. Mix all other ingredients together and pour them into the melted butter. The butter will come up around the mixture. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top cracks and the sides are golden brown. Enjoy!

For my salads, I buy the pre-packaged lettuce mix (usually the 50/50 mix). I like to add feta cheese, Craisins (or dried cherries), Pecan Pie nuts, and cucumber. My family loves Brianna's Homestyle Blush Wine Vinaigrette.

Happy eatin'....from my house to yours!

......Now, where did I put that leftover cornbread????

No comments:

Post a Comment