Monday, May 17, 2010

working girl


a few weeks back, i was busy planning for the prayer day potluck/picnic at the park. i felt that the Lord put it on my heart to host such an event and with that, i started to get ideas for little gifts that i wanted to purchase/make for the ladies attending. well, the only problem was that everything costs money. as i was out purchasing the supplies needed for food/gifts, i started to get that nagging, little stomach ache...that i sometimes get when i spend money. i was telling my friend that i felt guilty about spending, when i really don't have money to spend (get me?). she reminded me that God will bless us, when we are following Him...though His blessings aren't always "financial" blessings. less than ONE HOUR LATER, i got a phone call from my friend, jacky. jacky had asked me to do her hair and makeup for a wedding that she was going to be in, and i had gladly agreed. well, when jacky called me on this particular day...the day of stressing out over money n' such....this is what she said....

jacky: hello, miss kristi.....i have a proposition for you. and don't freak out.

me: (scared).....um, okay......

jacky: well, you know how you are doing my makeup for the wedding coming up?

me: yeah....??

jacky: well, i told all of the girls that you are doing mine and they want you to do theirs, too. they want to pay you.

me: um....wow....well, but.....well, i don't do that, though!

jacky: well, i told them that you'd say that....and they don't care! they were going to do their own and they loved how you did my hair and makeup last time....so they want you to do theirs.

okay....is God good, or what?? i had been worried about the money i had spent on the picnic and within an hour, the Lord had provided an opportunity for me to work....and not only that...but by doing something that i love!

here's the thing.....when i agreed to this gig, i didn't know that i'd be doing the bride's hair and makeup! i didn't find that out until about a week prior to the wedding. did you hear me?? the bride!!! mind you....i really enjoy makeup. i love to buy it. i love to apply it. i have always thought it would be SUPER fun to take classes and/or work at a counter! but.....that's all it has ever been....a thought!! there have been a few times in the past, that i've gotten asked to help do a friend's makeup. because josh is a wedding photographer, people have always told me that i should do makeup and he and i could be a team! it sounds fun, but i have never pursued the dream....

okay, so about the hair part. i don't do hair, and i have two boys...so it's not like i'm even getting practice with hair. ever. at all. i can barely get my own to look presentable. but....jacky asked me to do hers and the bride wanted hers done, too.

needless to say....i was stressin' all last week. i kept praying....Lord, please help me to get the job done. i pray that those girls will love the way they look when i'm done with them. Your strength is made perfect in my weakness. i don't feel qualified for this- at all- but You provided this opportunity for me and i thank You for that. all of my friends and family encouraged me, and they kept telling me that i'd do great and that it would all be wonderful.

well, God is good....all the time. all the time....God is good. and He showed up that day. i am about to share some before and after photos with you. before i do, let me say that i did not get good pictures of jacky (i tried to take them outside and there was too much shadowing) or the matron of honor! i had about 2.5 hours to get everything done and we were hidden in the bride's room at church....so i am bummed that i don't have better photos. i did ask the photographer to email me with some of his and i am hoping he does.

anyway....all of the girls were pleased with how they looked. i was happy, too....and i am SO thankful that God used me in this way. He provided a way for me to make some money, and He wasn't boring about it!!

on a side note.....the bride (jacqueline) is gorgeous! she was so laid back and so easy going. she showed me some pictures of how she wanted her hair and i just prayed while i was doing it. you may think it sounds cheesy to say that the Lord guided my hands....but He did! all of the girls kept telling her how good it looked, and when she saw what i had done, she said....it's perfect! it's exactly how i wanted it!! honestly...i was floored! and so ecstatic!! so happy, in fact....that i forgot to take a picture of it! dag nabbit!

felicia's before
felicia's after


jacqueline...the beautiful bride....before....trying to look sad, because she's not wearing any makeup!
jacqueline's after


i could have saved you a lot of time by just posting the pics....and leaving out all of my commentary.....but....then you wouldn't know how the Lord showed up...big time!!...in my life. all glory and honor to Him. and to think that He cares about even the smallest of things like this?? wow!!! He's incredible. awesome. faithful. amazing......

4 comments:

  1. God is great!!

    You did such a lovely job! The ladies look amazing! I think this is your calling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Aimie! You don't know how much your encouragement means!! :) I think it would be fun to take a class and really "get into it" sometime!! :) I hope I get more opportunities like that one!! :) Thank you for blessing me with your comment.....

    ReplyDelete