Monday, November 9, 2009

Alex Increased My Faith

We had a man come to remove some bushes and weeds from our front yard, and he also cut down my rose bushes (tear, tear), so that they can grow back...even more beautifully! My front yard is bare, but my heart is full and overflowing because of God's goodness and faithfulness today (and always). I noticed that the man who came (Alex) wore a hat with a cross and a Bible verse on it. I told him that I wanted to cut some roses, before he chopped the bushes down. He told me he would do it for me and we began to talk. He made a comment about how God provides, to which I agreed. This sparked an hour long discussion....where Alex told me many stories of God's love and faithfulness.

Here's one that stood out-- Alex was wrongly accused of a crime and was facing a 16 year prison sentence. He told the Lord that he wanted whatever the Lord's will was. Alex told God that he could share Jesus in the jail, if that was where He wanted to use him....but he also told the Lord that His Name would be first over everything in Alex' life, if the Lord worked a miracle. Alex fasted and prayed for three days, leading up to the sentencing. He gave his meals away to inmates and his mother came to pray with him. On the day that the sentencing was to take place....the judge came out and didn't say a word. The judge looked around and was blinking....fast. Then, he got up and left. After several minutes, the judge came back out and still said nothing. He got up and left again and called the lawyers back. When they all came out, the charges were dropped and Alex was sent home that very day. They brought his clothes to him and he didn't even have to return to the jail! WOW!! I had tears in my eyes by the time Alex was finished sharing this with me.

Alex told me story after story of how God provides and how He's been so faithful. Alex has plans to become a pastor, and he also desires to go to Mexico...to help young boys get off the streets. He wants to adopt a child, as well. He has four children of his own and the kids' mother is not walking with the Lord. She gives him trouble, but still....he befriends her and tells her that when she turns to God-- he will be her best friend! Alex said nothing in a prideful way, but he was only giving glory to our Lord.

Here's one more story that he shared with me. Alex was on his way to a job one morning (tree removal) and he was very hungry...but he decided not to stop for breakfast. He knew that if he did, he would be late to the job and keep the people waiting. When he arrived to the job, he got a sense that the woman (of the house) loved the Lord. Alex started to work and she came out a bit later, with a huge breakfast for him. She brought him OJ and homemade flour tortillas....along with other foods. Alex began to cry. The Lord knew that he hungry and the Lord provided food for him! Apparently, the woman had gone in and she began to pray. She made him the meal and while she was doing so, her sister came and scoffed at her...telling her that Alex wasn't her husband, and asked what exactly she was doing. It's so awesome that the woman listened to the Lord (and not her sister). In doing so...she completely blessed Alex.

I am in awe of this man and his love for the Lord. It's evident that he's set apart and sold out for Christ! He shared with me that God continues to provide him with job after job....and he is willing to go wherever (and whenever) the Lord leads him. Alex owns a restaurant and a tree service, and he would love to open a tire shop, too. The names of his businesses are Emmanuel Tree Service and Emmanuel Restaurant. Can you guess what his tire shop will be called?? Yep...Emmanuel Tire Shop. Remember how Alex told the Lord that he would always put His name above all else? Well, that's just what he's doing! Since Emmanuel means God With Us, it's clear that Alex has picked the perfect name(s)! Alex knows that God is with him at all times, and he told me that the Lord never leaves His children. Amen to that!

What a powerful witness Alex is....and what a Christ-like heart he possesses. Just this morning, Alex saw a man who looked hungry, outside the donut shop. Alex told the man that he didn't have money to give him-- but he could buy him coffee and a donut. Alex increased my faith today, and I want to be like him when I grow up.....!! Never did Alex give himself honor and praise, but he just kept telling me how good God is, and how he's willing to be used. I was so blessed and I was reminded that God will use anyone who is willing. The Lord doesn't need us to do things for His kingdom, but He desires that we have willing hearts. He wants to use us. And....when we want the Lord to use us....use us He will!! More than ever before.....I was challenged today. I had to stop and think....What am I doing to further His kingdom? Am I willing to go whenever....wherever? Am I being used? Am I listening to the Lord's calling on my life? The Lord has SO blessed me. What am I doing with those blessings?

'Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"'
-Isaiah 6:8-

'Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.'
-Col. 3:23-

'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.'
-1 Cor. 10:31-

**Please call me if you need trees removed, or if you want some great Mexican food!! I can get Alex' info to you! Also, please keep him in your prayers!**

**On a side note: Today, I received news that a friend (who recently had a double mastectomy) doesn't need chemo. They removed all of the cancer!! PRAISE GOD!**




No comments:

Post a Comment