Thursday, May 21, 2009

All About Oatmeal

It seems that I just can't get enough oatmeal these days.  I eat it for breakfast everyday (and sometimes for dinner) and it's filling and healthy!  I am especially fond of Trader Joe's Steel Cut Oats.  They sell it in two "forms:" One is sold in the freezer aisle, and it comes in a box with two, individual servings! You can heat it up (in the microwave) and in two minutes you have a yummy, oat-y meal!  Laugh with me....come on.  I like to add a touch of nonfat milk and some brown sugar to mine!  I have been buying Splenda's "Brown Sugar Blend"....and I love it....but please don't tell my health-nut friends. (Disclaimer: I never give that stuff to my kids!) Anyhow, TJ's also sells their steel cut oats in a canister, and you can cook them up "stove top style."  You get more bang for your buck when you purchase the dry oats, but both choices are very inexpensive!  I fix my oatmeal (on the stove) most mornings and it takes less than ten minutes! The frozen oats are nice for those mornings that you have to rush out the door! Though the Trader's oats are my absolute fave....I enjoy many kinds of oatmeal.  I am not picky and I am no oatmeal snob.  (I just don't do the instant packets anymore!)  What is your favorite??  The first person to respond and tell me their favorite type of oatmeal gets a FREE canister of my favorite to try!!  

**I thought I would share a recipe from the Deceptively Delicious cook book.  I have made these cookies several times, and not only do my kids love them.....they have no idea they are eating vegetables (how deceptive).  Bryson likes a variety of vegetables, but Hudson doesn't.  Here are some "guilt free" cookies for you and your kiddos to enjoy!  They taste more like banana bread to me, but they are delicious just the same! 

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:
Nonstick Cooking Spray
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread, chilled
1/2 cup banana puree
1/2 cup zucchini puree
1 large egg white
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with cooking parchment.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir to mix.
3. In a large bowl, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon until just combined; do not over-mix.  Add the banana and zucchini purees, and the egg white, and stir just to blend. Add the flour mixture, raisins, and walnuts, if using, and stir to combine.
4. Drop the dough (heaping tablespoons) onto the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch in between.  Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 4-5 minutes, just until they are firm enough to handle....and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

ENJOY!


2 comments:

  1. well my friend...as I am thinking of eating my OATS or a burger...Im sure the oats will win!! I eat mine just like grandpa used to make...raisins and brown sugar...THE REAL STUFF...not the stuff that will kill you!!! :) :) hee hee!!! My oats are good ole Quaker Whole oats...I find them lovely!!! thanks for enjoying your oats...it has confirmed my need oats...not fast food!!! :) :) kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to my artificial friend!!! Your real friend would like to say thank you for the oats!! They look WAY different from the whole oats that I have been using forever!!! Can I make cookies with them??? And are you going to post "not so healthy" receipes!?!?!? HEE HEE you know....your real friend loves butter and sugar!!! :) :) HEE HEE
    Big REAL kisses!! T

    ReplyDelete