Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Trying To Raise Gentlemen

I got the chance to take Bryson on a "date" over the weekend.  We went to the movies, to see Earth.  When I first mentioned taking him on a date, he said, "Mom...you know I am not old enough to date!"  I told him that until he's older- he's only allowed to date me!  As we were leaving for the theater, I told Bryson that I wanted to teach him to be a gentleman.  (I think we are hard pressed to find many true gentlemen these days!)  I desire to raise my boys to be respectful of women and I want them to be chivalrous, too!!  My mom gave me the idea of telling Bryson to open my car door.  He was happy to oblige and he opened all of the doors for me that day (car, theater, etc.).  I told him that when he gets older, he will be expected to pay for the date, as well!!  We got some popcorn and a soda, enjoyed the movie, and even held hands.  We had a great time together, and on our way back to the car, Bryson told me..."This is the best date I've ever been on!"  He sure knows how to melt my heart.  Anyway....I have decided to "date my boys" until they are of age.  It's a great way for us to get that one-on-one time together, and it will allow me to teach my boys how to treat a woman.  I want my boys to treat their ladies like princesses!  Their daddy treats me like one, and I am blessed and honored to be able to raise these boys with him.  I am praying those things for them even now.  I even pray for their future mates!  I know that it seems like a long time off, but I also know that I will blink and they will be heading off to college!  This post is meant to encourage you to spend that "separate" time with each of your children.  I am at home with Hudson all the time now, but rarely do Bryson and I get the chance to hang out together.  Our date was special and I think it's a time that we will both treasure for many years to come!

**Last week, Bryson came into our front office and peeked out the window.  There were some teenagers outside, and I was sitting at the desk....

Bryson said:  Those girls are hot!  

Me:  Bryson!  That doesn't sound very nice.  

Bryson:  What?  I just meant that they're beautiful!  Dad says it all the time.

Me:  Then say that, instead of saying "hot."

**Yes, the hubby got in trouble for that one, and yes....I clarified (with both of them) that he's only referring to his wife when he says that!  Josh does treat me like a princess, but I don't want my boys talking like that!  Of course, Josh thought it was hilarious!  Does this kind of stuff really begin at age six??  Yikes!  I have lots of work and lots of praying to do!!**


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate this Kristi! Maybe we can fix Bryson and Ayva up. And Hudson and Monica!!! And then Owen and your neice ;}}}}}

    ReplyDelete